Thursday, March 25, 2010

I have a crush on Lynda Barry

Hey mom, I have a new girlfriend and this is her book!

But really how great is Lynda Barry?! It was the best lecture EVER. Oh my god, I think I'm in love.
Most people who come to lecture talk at us about their lives OR WHATEVER, Lynda kept everyone engaged in a dialouge. Not only was she entertaining (which is actually really important, most people don't realize that public speaking is performing but that's WHAT IT IS) but she's super smart too! I loved the way she thought about things FOR EXAMPLE: Creative Concentration or Play enacting an entirely different part of your brain and how deeply rooted "breakthroughs" or "ideas" are in anxiety. I think that's a really good explanation of art school. AN ANXIOUS PRESSURE COOKER. I don't know so much how I feel about her artwork I mean she calls her self a cartoonist (and a comic book is great but it's a comic book AM I RIGHT GIRLS?) But her work that she showed us asked a lot of interesting questions about memory and the creative process (whatever THAT means). I really enjoyed her story about how she spent 10 years trying to write a book on the computer and she just couldn't do it, but then she wrote it on paper with a brush and it only took her 9 months! The idea of distilling thought into motion to access writing more easily totally makes sense to me. That's why I love working manually so much and kind of shy away from work on computers (sorry Sam!!).
Okay, that's it <3 you Lynda!

No comments:

Post a Comment